Colorado, Arizona, US/Nevada, US
|Usual Difficulty||I (for normal flows)|
|Avg. Gradient||1 fpm|
|Max Gradient||1 fpm|
|COLORADO RV BLW HOOVER DAM, AZ-NV|
|usgs-09421500||40.00 - 60.00 ft||I||00h55m||47.73 ft (running)|
|This range is a rough guess. Anyone who has better knowledge of runnable levels on this reach is invited to add a comment.|
This is the part of the Colorado River below "Lake" Mead and Hoover Dam. A local
rafting brochure describes this reach as having no rapids.
Visitors will need a permit to launch below the Hoover Dam; however, boaters approaching the dam from dowstream from Willow Beach do not apparently need a permit.
Here is a link for the permit: www.blackcanyonadventures.com/BC_download.html
Here's a link to a river guide map: www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/paddlecraft/riverinfo.htm
This is the most hot-springs packed flatwater run you'll ever find. The best way to do it is to take several days, and spend all day every day exploring side canyons and sitting in hot water. The sauna cave is on river right only 1/4 mile downstream from the launch. It is an exploratory drill hole from when they were looking for a dam site. They hit hot water.
The only rapids are Ringbolt Rapids, which form when Lake Mohave is low. Mileage and Lat/longitude coordinates are an educated guess.
Brad Roberts contributed (2003-09-02 03:34:13):
In Southern Nevada, about 35 miles south of Las Vegas between Hoover Dam and Lake Mohave, the mighty Colorado River provides a fairly tame rafting run, but still packs a punch with occasional rapids and mind-blowing scenery. Ride with a guide or go it alone, but note that permits from the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation,
702-494-2204, are required to launch below Hoover Dam. You can also arrange for pickup at the end of your excursion. Contact: Forever Resorts at 702-294-1414, http://www.foreverresorts.com/ for guide and rental information.
Reaches of the Colorado River:
01. Hot Sulphur Springs to Hwy 40 bridge (Byers Canyon) (CO, IV)
02. Gore Canyon (CO, IV-V)
03. Pumphouse campground to Rancho Del Rio (Pumphouse) (CO, III)
04. Hanging Lake Exit 125 (I-70) to Shoshone Power Plant Exit 123 (I-70) (Barrel Springs) (CO, IV-V [V+])
05. Shoshone Power Plant, Exit 123 (I-70) to Grizzly Creek, Exit 121 (I-70) (Shoshone) (CO, III-IV)
06. Cameo Dam (Big Sur / Lucky 7) (CO, III)
07. Loma to Westwater (Ruby / Horsethief Canyons) (CO-UT, II)
08. Westwater to Rose Ranch (Westwater Canyon) (UT, I-IV)
09. Cisco (Rose Ranch) to Moab (Professor Valley) (UT, I-III)
10. Moab to Powell Reservoir (Cataract Canyon) (UT, I-IV)
11. Lees Ferry to Lake Mead (Grand Canyon) (AZ, I-V)
12. Black Canyon (AZ-NV, I)
No CommentsUsers can submit comments.