Colorado, Colorado, US
|Usual Difficulty||IV-V (for normal flows)|
|Avg. Gradient||35 fpm|
|Max Gradient||120 fpm|
|COLORADO RIVER NEAR KREMMLING, CO|
|usgs-09058000||375 - 2000 cfs||IV-V||01h24m||1020 cfs (running)|
This is the post-season run for advanced intermediates and experts in Colorado. Usually runs 1000+ CFS July until October.
At prime levels, 1000 to 1200 cfs, this run is a solid Class IV run with two Class IV+'s (Pyrite and Kirshbaum) and 2 solid V's (Gore and Tunnel).
Four miles of flatwater begin this dark rock canyon with the train track as your peering companion.
Above 1200cfs, creek boats are recommended ... bring your water wings! Beware spiders in the sneak.
Shuttle Directions About 1 mile south of Kremmling head west on Trough Road (1 rd). Take a right 1/2 mile down this road, before crossing the river, to get to the put-in. The take-out is about 10 miles further down Trough Road at Pumphouse Campground. There is a small fee at Pumphouse to maintain the facilities.
Reaches of the Colorado River:
01. Hot Sulphur Springs to Hwy 40 bridge (Byers Canyon) (CO, IV)
02. Gore Canyon (CO, IV-V)
03. Pumphouse campground to Rancho Del Rio (Pumphouse) (CO, III)
04. Hanging Lake Exit 125 (I-70) to Shoshone Power Plant Exit 123 (I-70) (Barrel Springs) (CO, IV-V [V+])
05. Shoshone Power Plant, Exit 123 (I-70) to Grizzly Creek, Exit 121 (I-70) (Shoshone) (CO, III-IV)
06. Cameo Dam (Big Sur / Lucky 7) (CO, III)
07. Loma to Westwater (Ruby / Horsethief Canyons) (CO-UT, II)
08. Westwater to Rose Ranch (Westwater Canyon) (UT, I-IV)
09. Cisco (Rose Ranch) to Moab (Professor Valley) (UT, I-III)
10. Moab to Powell Reservoir (Cataract Canyon) (UT, I-IV)
11. Lees Ferry to Lake Mead (Grand Canyon) (AZ, I-V)
12. Black Canyon (AZ-NV, I)
|Mile||Rapid Name||Class||Features (Legend)|
|6.0||Lots o' Class IV||IV|
This is the longest and most technical rapid in Gore Canyon. In 2003 there was a log pinned at the top of the rapid on the right. Every time down I somehow manage to end up somewhere different. Some lines are definitely better than others! The standard line is right, left, right over the course of about 200 yards.
Colorado River up for Wild and Scenic Designation
April 27, 2007
Flow Survey for Upper Colorado River Basin
October 22, 2007
Lane Wyatt: AW's Volunteer of the Month
November 21, 2007
AW helps develop Upper Colorado River Management Plan
August 20, 2008
Management Plan submitted for Upper Colorado River (CO)
March 8, 2011
Gore Race 2009 - Get on It!
August 12, 2009
AW Preserving Boating Opportunities on the Upper Colorado River
August 25, 2009
Upper Colorado River - Project Update
August 27, 2009
Pack It Out! Day on Upper Colorado River
August 3, 2010
2010 Gore Canyon Race
August 17, 2010
Save The Colorado Campaign Awards AW (CO)
September 14, 2010
Recreational Water Rights Sought for the Upper Colorado River
January 31, 2011
BLM Releases Draft RMP/EIS for Upper Colorado River- CO
October 11, 2011
Upper Colorado River Receives Legal Flow Protection
December 6, 2011
Action Alert - Support Fall Boating on the Upper Colorado River!
February 28, 2012
AW Intervenes in Colorado River Water Rights Case
June 13, 2014
Gore Canyon Whitewater Park secures Permit from BLM
August 22, 2014
Breaking Ground on the Gore Canyon Whitewater Park - CO
November 22, 2014