Gore Race 2021!
Every August we gather on the banks of the Colorado River for a chance to see our friends from across the region, share about the stewardship work we’ve been dedicated to all year, celebrate late season flows and go fast through one of the most impressive river canyons in the region. While things are still getting back to normal, our event is going to look different again this year while still achieving all of those goals. We will be hosting the Gore Race as well as a (very short) virtual event with a race wrap up, membership prize drawing, and stewardship news. There will be no festival or camping this year.
The 32nd annual Gore Race is on August 28th. Click here to sign up to race. ONLINE REGISTRATION ONLY. There will be no onsite or last minute registrations accepted. Online registration closes at 6pm on August 27th. As a part of your entry fee, you will receive an AW membership, t-shirt, race bib, and race insurance and user fees. If you are an existing member and aren’t up for a renewal, $25 of your entry fee will be included as a donation (thank you!). You’ll also be entered into a drawing for some rad prizes! The overall race winner will get a Verus Gladiator thanks to our sponsor 4 Corners Riversports!
This year we will be running the iconic Gore Canyon down river race beginning at the gear up rock and finishing at the bottom of Kirshbaum, just like usual. This will be followed by a brief creekboat/raft/whatever-you’ve-got rodeo at the Gore Canyon Whitewater Park and the award ceremony. This year’s Gore Race will be a one day event and we will not be running the SUP cross, SUP Downriver race, or the freestyle rodeo and will not be running the festival at Rancho this year. Additionally, there will not be camping this year as camping at Pumphouse operates on a first come, first serve basis and will not be guaranteed for racers.
We are also bringing back a few highlights of last year´s virtual event like the incredible membership drawings and stewardship updates from our regional team. On August 31st at 6pm MT, we will host a very short virtual event to recap race day events and see who our new member winners are. Click here to register for the virtual event.
Our sponsors have provided some amazing prizes for the membership drawing this year. To enter you must join or renew your AW membership and write Gore into the comment box.* If you sign up for a standard, family and affiliate club memberships, you will be entered into a random drawing. The prizes include a Badfish paddle board, a Liquid Logic Alpha kayak, a Dagger Code kayak, and a Kokatat OM drytop. New or renewing Ender Club or higher members will be entered to win $3000 down on the custom rig of your dreams! Whether you’re a multi-day expeditioner, R1 slayer or Cat-Boater extraordinaire, Down River Equipment is ready to build you the perfect rig!
* There will be two membership drawings that will take place live at the virtual Gore Fest event (Aug 31 @ 6pm MT).
General Membership Drawing
- Renew or join your American Whitewater membership at the Standard, Family or Affiliate Club level here and type “Gore” into the comment box. You will receive one entry into the General Membership Drawing.
- Prizes for this drawing include a Dagger Code, Badfish Paddle Board, Liquid Logic Alpha Kayak (choice of size - 90 or 75), and a Kokatat Om Drytop.
- Do not need to be present to win
Ender Club or Above Build your own Raft Package Drawing
- One prize of a $3000 gift certificate to Down River Equipment
- There will be several levels of entry into this drawing. To enter the drawing go here to join or renew and type “Gore” into the comment box. All Ender Club and above membership will also get you one entry in the General Membership Drawing.
- Ender Club membership: 1 entry in raft drawing
- Platinum paddler membership: 2 entries in raft drawing
- Explorer/lifetime membership: 5 entries in raft drawing
- Do not need to be present to win
- Must be available to pick up raft in Denver, Colorado. Out of state winners will pay for shipping costs
If you’ve already recently joined or renewed and you’re from Colorado, you’ll automatically be placed in the drawing. If you have any questions about membership please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photo Credit: Rapid Image Photography