Fall Tallulah Season Reminders for 2009
Release Dates for November 2009: 7 & 8, 14 & 15, 21 & 22
Scheduled releases occur the first two weekends in April and the first three weekends in November. On Saturday 500 cfs is released and on Sunday 700 cfs. Boaters are allowed on the water once the level stabilizes, which is about 9:30 am; the water is turned off at 4 pm. All boaters must start down the stairs by 3:00 pm to beat the flow down to the lake. You will need to sign a waiver at the top of the stairs to be permitted to paddle the river. Please continue to park across the road from the put-in for a $5.00 fee per vehicle, and remember that you must go under the bridge to cross the road.
Here are a few things to remember on your trip to the Tallulah:
2. PARKING - Shuttles are not provided any longer at the Tallulah, requiring boaters to set their own shuttles at the take-out. Please carpool, do not overcrowd the take-out and park in designated spaces only. Take-out parking is limited, please maximize parking by sharing shuttles.
3. DON'T TRAMPLE THE TRILLIUM â€¨- Keep boats and bodies on the steps, bedrock, or water at all times, especially at the bottom of the stairs, where some boaters jump the right rail or throw their boats vertically over the back of the platform. Also, keep your impact on the riverbank to a bare minimum in connection with scouting rapids.
4. NO ALCOHOL IS ALLOWEDâ€¨ - Remember that alcohol is prohibited on all Georgia State Parks property.
5. CAMPINGâ€¨ - If you are making a trip into the area, please visit one of the nearby campgrounds.
6. PLEASE KEEP ALL DOGS ON LEASHESâ€¨ - All dogs must be kept on six-foot leashes. The owners of unattended dogs, dogs not on leashes, or of animals locked in cars that the park deems as hazardous will be ticketed.
7. RAFTS AND OTHER INFLATABLES - Please read the Inflatable Policy for the Tallulah.
8. AND FINALLYâ€¨ - Don't forget, there would be no releases in Tallulah Gorge if it were not for the hard work of the American Whitewater staff and volunteers. Please support American Whitewater with your membership.
Clubs that are assisting with release weekends are:
- Atlanta Whitewater Club (AWC)
- Foothills Paddling Club (FPC)
- Georgia Canoe Association (GCA)
- Outdoor Recreation Georgia Tech (ORGT)
- Paddlers for Christ (P4C)
For more information, please check out AW's Tallulah Gorge StreamTeam Page.