American Whitewater is proud to recognize Tom Welander for his assistance analyzing data from our
recent membership survey. He is a survey researcher with 25 years experience in the field.
Tom's analysis was presented to the AW Board of Directors at a recent meeting and will be
used in an upcoming strategic planning process.
Along with other findings, the analysis provides an overview of our members demographics and
Our Members - The Crafts They Paddle and Who They Are
- Lots of cross pollination between crafts.
- Plurality of members paddle class III/IV 21-50 days a year.
- There is an age progression from non-member to lifetime member.
- Email, Journal and Social Media are top member communication modes.
- Non-members rely on online sources.
We’re On Mission
- River protection, access, restoration/releases, and safety are most important aspects of our
- 98% of member respondents intend to renew their membership.
- 78% of members were likely to recommend AW and 71% are highly satisfied.
The recent membership survey had very strong participation from members and non-members alike. In
recognition of Tom's volunteer support, he will be receiving a gift certificate from Kokatat!