AW Stewardship Assistant Job Announcement
Position Description: The Stewardship Assistant is responsible for supporting American Whitewater's Regional Stewardship Directors in project-related analysis, research, and writing as well as communicating and advocating for our work to resource agencies, funders, elected officials, and our membership. The Stewardship Assistant is an hourly 20hr/week contract position with potential for growth. Hourly contract pay is competitive and based on experience, without benefits or office space provided. The Stewardship Assistant location is flexible, and reports to the National Stewardship Director.
Roles and Responsibilities: The Stewardship Assistant will support American Whitewater Stewardship Directors by:
- Reviewing, synthesizing, drafting, editing, and filing written responses in public review processes like agency land management planning, hydropower relicensing, administrative rulemakings, and legislation;
- Conducting legal and policy analysis;
- Limited project coordination and facilitation across regions and organizations;
- Tracking and documenting whitewater-related accidents and filing accurate incident reports in the American Whitewater accident database;
- Synthesis of efforts and outcomes for external communications including articles, grant reports, and website content.
Skills and Requirements:
- Excellent written communication skills including scientific, technical, legal, and creative writing.
- Excellent research skills and comprehension related to law and federal policy.
- Strong commitment to a collaborative team-driven approach and the ability to facilitate teamwork.
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently and think critically from a home office
- Bachelor's degree or higher in science, policy, law, journalism, or other relevant field
- Familiarity with word processing, spreadsheets, presentation, and general photo editing software include cloud-based systems.
- Basic knowledge of whitewater rivers, paddling, and related issues
- GIS, web programming, statistics, and other technical skills will be considered as value added.
How to Apply: Send Resume and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 21, 2019. Position will remain open until filled. No phone calls please.