The Upper Yough Rock
Welcome to the Upper Yough Rock Saturday July 23rd. Wash off those
drought season blues with a two day dam release and
Upper Yough style festivities. Featuring the 25th annual Upper Yough Race, the oldest whitewater
extreme race in the world.
Team Friendsville's mission is to get us all together for a weekend of fun and fund raising for American Whitewater. Run the river or mountain bike up the ole railway grade deep into the Upper Yough jungle. Camp out at the Barn Festival site both Friday and Saturday night. Races, booth venders, blue grass band, food and beer. Fun for all ages, please bring your family.
American Whitewater has supported the Upper Yough river for years, Team Friendsville dreams of easing AW's burden by developing this event for years to come. Come on down and mix it up with hot moves on the river and the dance floor.
Upper Yough Rock activity details:
Friday July 22nd
1) 10am - 1pm, Scheduled dam release
2) 3pm - 4:30pm, Kids race registration at liquor store parking lot across from Mountain Surf. $15 entry covers the T-shirt, insurance, prizes, Barn party and entry into the following evening's festival. Get off the river, gather the kids up, register them and race. The race starts at 5:00pm under the route 68 bridge and finishes approximately 1 mile down stream at the Town Park take out with class 2 riffles between. Parents encouraged to paddle along. Adult kayak safety provided along the whole race course.
3) 6:30pm, Kids race awards and Boom box party, At the Barn, refreshments, prizes and romping around.
4) Camp across from the Barn. There will be a $2.50 charge per person per night to benefit AW. Register at kid's race registration 3-4pm, or Barn from 6:30pm. The camping field is owned and maintained by the nicest old man. Please, no fires or noise and behave your self responsibly so he will continue to let us use it for years to come.
Saturday July 23rd
1) 10am - 4pm, Special Upper Yough Race dam release. Team Friendsville has 6 hours of water to place on any date it wishes. We like Saturdays for race attendance, though crowded conditions make for a poor race course. If you are not racing please respect the racers desire to have a clear race course around 4:00pm. Team Friendsville will continue to hold its 6 hour release on Saturdays if race conditions are good. So look at your watch and remind fellow boaters when the time comes.
2) 9am - 12pm, Race Registration at liquor store parking lot. $30.00 Gets you insurance, entry, timed and results in the race, T-shirt, entry into Barn festival, beer and prizes.
3) 12:30pm Competitors meeting, at registration.
4) 4pm, Race start at Gap Run stretch rock, finish at Kendall
5) Food After you get off river, Upper Yough Rock Festival (At the barn, venders, food, beer, bluegrass band, camping!)
6) 7pm, Race results and ceremony (At the barn)
7) 8:pm, Band starts
8) Camp across from the Barn. There will be a $2.50 charge per person per night to benefit AW. Register at kid's race registration 3-4pm, or Barn from 6:30pm. The camping field is owned and maintained by the nicest old man. Please, no fires or noise and behave your self responsibly so he will continue to let us use it for years to come.
Directions to Barn:
The Barn is 3.2 miles from Friendsville, starting at Mountain surf set your trip odometer for these directions:
1) Starting at Mountain Surf, Go west toward the freeway (OD reading .4 miles.)
2) At the stop sign (Rout 42) Go right, pass the most expensive gas on the planet (Citgo), to top of hill (OD reading 2.0 miles.)
3) At the top of the hill Go right on Blooming Rose road until you hit a stop sign (OD reading 2.7 miles.)
4) At the stop sign Go left on Old Morgantown road until you see the Barn on your left (OD reading 3.2 miles.)
5) At the Barn turn right for parking and camping (well marked)