Smith, Virginia, US
|Usual Difficulty||II (for normal flows)|
|SMITH RIVER AT BASSETT, VA|
|usgs-02072500||300 - 800 cfs||II||00h56m||155 cfs (too low)|
|Probably too low.|
This is swiftwater Class II paddling with a couple of rapids and surfing spots. Water is too
swift at release levels for rank beginners but with any previous experience most paddlers will do
fine. Levels in the range of 500cfs are good and may go lower.
Putin: 271 Trent Hill Drive
Takeout: 3512 River Road Fieldale VA 24089
Look for the dam releases. Any release is good to go. River maybe be too low for reasonable paddling if they are not releasing. Most releases are M-F in the afternoon during peak power generation.
1. Iron Bridge Rd(Route 704) to Union Bridge Rd at backwater of Philpott Lake, Class II-III
2. Philpot Dam to North Basset, 6.4 miles, II+
4. Fieldale to Doe Run, 5 miles, II
5. South Martinsville to Sports Complex, 4 miles, II
6. Sports Complex to Mitchell Bridge, 6 miles, II(III)