This is swiftwater Class II paddling with a couple rapids in the first mile with the rest mostly flat water. The last mile is on the lake behind Martinsville City Dam. Paddlers can put on at Doe Run and paddle upstream for a flatwater workout.
1. Iron Bridge Rd(Route 704) to Union Bridge Rd at backwater of Philpott Lake, Class II-III
2. Philpot Dam to North Basset, 6.4 miles, II+
3. North Bassett to Fieldale, 8 miles, II
5. South Martinsville to Sports Complex, 4 miles, II
6. Sports Complex to Mitchell Bridge, 6 miles, II(III)
Look for the dam releases. Any release is good to go. River maybe be too low for reasonable paddling if they are not releasing. Most releases are M-F in the afternoon during peak power generation.
Permits are not required for this reach.
Putin: 3512 River Road Fieldale VA 24089Takeout: 270 Dupont Road Martinsville VA 24112
If someone gets hurt on a river, or you read about a whitewater-related injury, please report it to
American Whitewater. Don't worry about multiple submissions from other witnesses, as our safety
editors will turn multiple witness reports into a single unified accident report.
Log into the American Whitewater website and you can contribute to river descriptions,
flow and access tips, and maps associated with runs you've done. You can even add new
runs to the inventory!