Colorado, Utah, US
|Usual Difficulty||I-III (for normal flows)|
|Avg. Gradient||5 fpm|
|COLORADO RIVER NEAR CISCO, UT|
|usgs-09180500||2000 - 15000 cfs||I-III||00h48m||2180 cfs (running)|
Colorado River through the Professor Valley can begin at the take-out for the popular Westwater Canyon run. The first 24 miles to Hittle Bottom are a mellow Class I float. Some come specifically for this sections while many bypass it by putting in at Hittle Bottom or Dewey Bridge at the Dolores confluence. For those who paddle this first section the absense of others and the presence of wildlife is notable from upstream or downstream.
While there's not any real action, a few whitewater rapids (class II/III), do break up the
scenic float once you enter the Professor Valley past Hittle Bottom.
This 18 mile stretch in the middle of the run makes a good overnight trip.
It IS popular so don't expect to have the river to yourself and camping is restricted to designated sites with roadside ranger enforcement.
Boaters can continue their trip downstream to Cataract Canyon (Permit required past the Green River confluence) or take advantage of boating opportunities on the upstream sections of the Colorado or Dolores which come together just downstream of the Rose Ranch put-in:
Other Reaches of the Colorado River:
01. Hot Sulphur Springs to Hwy 40 bridge (Byers Canyon) (CO, IV)
02. Gore Canyon (CO, IV-V)
03. Pumphouse campground to Rancho Del Rio (Pumphouse) (CO, III)
04. Hanging Lake Exit 125 (I-70) to Shoshone Power Plant Exit 123 (I-70) (Barrel Springs) (CO, IV-V [V+])
05. Shoshone Power Plant, Exit 123 (I-70) to Grizzly Creek, Exit 121 (I-70) (Shoshone) (CO, III-IV)
06. Cameo Dam (Big Sur / Lucky 7) (CO, III)
07. Loma to Westwater (Ruby / Horsethief Canyons) (CO-UT, II)
08. Westwater to Rose Ranch (Westwater Canyon) (UT, I-IV)
09. Cisco (Rose Ranch) to Moab (Professor Valley) (UT, I-III)
10. Moab to Powell Reservoir (Cataract Canyon) (UT, I-IV)
11. Lees Ferry to Lake Mead (Grand Canyon) (AZ, I-V)
12. Black Canyon (AZ-NV, I)
|Mile||Rapid Name||Class||Features (Legend)|
|15.8||Dewey Bridge access area||N/A|
|22.1||Hittle Bottoms access area||N/A|
|29.0||Ida Gulch access area||N/A|
There is a large boat ramp on river left, downstream of the bridge.