Bear Creek, Georgia, US
Hwy 129 pull off by bridge to Canyon View Rd takeout (Cloudland Canyon)
||V (for normal flows)
Stairway to Heaven
Stairway to HeavenPhoto of Daniel Talley by Chris Young taken 03/15/01
The local gauge on the bridge upstream from the put-in - downstream river right side. 9" min,
12"--18" optimim, 20"-2' high but commonly run (watch fishbowl and revelations).
The cfs gauge listing is for Lookout Creek, just downstream of Trenton, Ga. Bear drains into
lookout creek. The gauge is less than two miles from the Bear takeout.
Information from local expert, Ron Stewart, Box 1337, Chatanooga, TN 3740
Bear was first run by Ron Stewart and Doug Wellman in the early 90s.
Significant rapids are:
1. Edward Scissorhands - constriction with sharp shelf off right (get up on left)
2. Surreal Pillow - right sneak at med flows, portage best when low - trees block channel
3. Fishbowl - hidden piton center of 1st ledge, big hole below over 20"
5. Knockin on heavens door - leads into
6. Stairway to Heaven - faster than you may think. Eddy left and early to scout. Portage by walking
IN FLOW down left (slick above waterline). Numerous accidents here - compressed vertabrae, skull
fractures, broken ribs, elbows, etc. Big fun, big bounce.
7. Cosmic trigger - watch for new logs, run right
8. Big Bang - Far right boof to shallows - hard to line up launch pad w/o scouting. Far left run at
very high flows or portage river left by jumping into pool.
9. Reveleation: 3 drops - big hole and pile-ups at high flows. Set spotter or space out.
10. Momentary Lapse of Reason: big boof! Sketch crack w/ piton at low flows
11. Armageddon: watch for trees in runout, super-technical but by now . . .
Daniel's Creek enters from river
left - hike up river left trail1/2 mi for 4-5 additional drops when levels are over 15" and logs
permit. 30'er has not been run.
12. Pinball Wizard - Mucho technical drop with changing log configurations. Bottom right slot
pretty nasty w/ pin danger at low flows.
13. Gargoyle - scout at low flows
14. Omega - dangerous seive just downstream on left (1/2 river dissappears). Very continuous
lead-in for 1/2 mile at high flows. Don't leave your 1st timer buddies and blaze in blind!!! Rapids
fine, but the seive warrants consideration.
About a third of the way down the run Daniel Creek will enter on river left.
According to the topo maps from the confluence down the creek becomes Sitton Gulch Creek.
Eventually the creek drains into Lookout Creek in Trenton, Ga.
StreamTeam Status: Verified
Last Updated: 2005-07-12 11:26:45