Accident Database

Report ID# 115038

  • Impact/Trauma
  • Does not Apply
  • High Water

Accident Description

Park: Michigan Woman Dies in Grand Canyon Flash Flood

Grand Canyon National Park officials on Friday identified a 29-year-old Michigan woman as the person found dead in frigid water after a flash flood swept through a commercial rafting group’s overnight camp site along the Colorado River.

By Associated Press

July 16, 2021

GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK, Ariz. (AP) — Grand Canyon National Park officials on Friday identified a Michigan woman as the person found dead in frigid water after a flash flood swept through a commercial rafting group's overnight camp site along the Colorado River. Rebecca Copeland, 29, of Ann Arbor, was found Thursday near the camp washed away Wednesday evening by a torrent of water that rushed through a slot canyon, park officials said in a statement.

Copeland was a passenger on a commercial rafting group that had set up its overnight camp at an established site about a quarter of a mile (0.40 kilometer) from the slot canyon, National Park Service spokeswoman Kaitlyn Thomas told The Associated Press. A different commercial rafting group found Copeland and that group also found an uninjured second person who also had been reported missing, the statement said.

Five injured people, including one in critical condition, were evacuated by air from the canyon, the statement said. Their identities weren't released. The injured were “very seriously bludgeoned by debris," Thomas said.

Thomas said she didn't know whether the other group that found Copeland and the uninjured person was actively searching for them at the time. “I am confident that the river community did know something was up but I imagine they were on the lookout."

The National Park Service was investigating the incident in coordination with the Coconino County medical examiner, the statement said.

The flood hit the camp set up about 40 miles (64 kilometers) downstream from where the rafts launched at Lees Ferry near the Arizona-Utah state line, turning the normally greenish-colored river into a muddy brown. Forecasters had issued a flash flood watch for the area Wednesday, but it wasn't clear whether the rafting guides were aware.

The flood was part of monsoon storms that have inundated Arizona this week, including in Flagstaff where streets in some areas were left a muddy mess as water mixed with logs and debris swept through. The entire Southwest, which has been desperate for rain after two years of dismal monsoon activity, has been hammered lately with storms. More rain is in the forecast.

Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Flash flooding sweeps Arizona; 1 rafter dead in Grand Canyon

The Associated Press and Nexstar Media Wire

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) — One person who went missing from a Colorado River rafting trip in the Grand Canyon during a flash flood was found dead Thursday in frigid water while a second person was found alive, a park spokeswoman said. The flood was part of monsoon storms that have inundated Arizona this week, including in Flagstaff where city streets were left a muddy mess as water mixed with logs and debris swept through. Cleanup was underway Thursday with the threat of more rain looming.

At the Grand Canyon, a torrent of water rushed through a slot canyon and washed away the camp where two commercial rafts with 30 passengers pulled off the river to stay Wednesday evening, said Grand Canyon spokeswoman Joelle Baird.

Authorities initially believed that two people had been swept into the river and launched a search by air, ground and water to find them. One was found at the camp that the group had abandoned to seek a safer place to sleep, Baird said. The other was found dead in the water next to the camp that flooded, she said.

The motorized trip operated by Arizona Raft Adventures was scheduled to last more than a week. A company spokeswoman on Thursday referred questions to John Dillon, the executive director of the Grand Canyon River Outfitters Association that represents the outfitters permitted in the canyon. Dillon said he hasn’t yet spoken to company officials, one of whom is on another trip on the river. He said while the outfitters were pleased to hear one rafter was found, they’re saddened by the death of the other.“Our hearts our broken that people on the trip lost somebody, people at home lost somebody,” he said. “That matters more than anything else.”

A park helicopter took two paramedics to the river late Wednesday to treat and stabilize the injured rafters after receiving a satellite phone call from someone on the trip asking for help. Seven passengers who were injured were airlifted out of the canyon, Baird said. She wasn’t sure of the extent of their injuries. Baird said the park will help the other rafters who want to cut their trip short get off the river, she said.

The flood hit the camp set up about 40 miles (64 kilometers) downstream from where the rafts launched at Lees Ferry near the Arizona-Utah state line, turning the normally greenish-colored river into a muddy brown. Forecasters had issued a flash flood watch for the area Wednesday, but it’s not clear whether the rafting guides were aware. Radar showed about an inch (2.5 centimeters) of rain along that stretch of the Colorado River, according to the National Weather Service.

2 missing from Grand Canyon rafting trip after flash flood

By: Associated Press

Posted at 8:53 AM, Jul 15, 2021

FLAGSTAFF, AZ — Authorities are searching for two people who were on a river rafting trip through the Grand Canyon and went missing after a flash flood.

A park spokeswoman says authorities got a call Wednesday evening from someone on a commercial trip on the Colorado River saying people were injured and asking for emergency help. Park crews launched a search for at least two people who are missing.

The flood hit as people on the trip were camped at the mouth of a side canyon almost 40 miles from where their rafts launched. The region that has been desperate for rain after two years of dismal monsoon activity has been hammered lately with more rain expected.


From Tom Martin via FB:

Two people are still missing and seven people have been evacuated this morning with serious injuries after a flash flood tore through a commercial river trip camped at the mouth of Tatahatso Wash around 6 pm last night. A severe thunderstorm moved through the area as per the URL below for the storm track from 3:30pm to 5:30pm MST July 14, 2021.
The group was camped at river mile 37.6 on the Colorado River in Grand Canyon National Park. National Park Service Search and Rescue teams are conducting operations this morning.
River runners are reminded to avoid the mouths of side canyons during the monsoon season. While these side canyon areas may provide camping, day hiking, and boat parking, there is a long history of injuries and fatalities in these areas during monsoon season. Thunder storms are forecast in northern Arizona through the rest of the week.
Our condolences go out to the family and friends of those who are missing.
Another One in a Million
Good Morning Friends and Family
For those of you unaware, on July 14 my husband Liam and myself were caught in a horrific flash flood event on day 2 of a Grand Canyon river trip. It was Liam and I's first Grand trip together, I was assisting the awesome crew and we had a truly unique and spectacular group of guests with us.
Our day 2 camp was carefully selected with weather in mind, away from drainages and pouroffs and the trip was making themselves comfortable in camp as the crew started preparing dinner. The clouds were building up and it started raining, then hailing heavily. The crew started moving guests to higher ground when Liam and I looked up and saw a massive cloud of Supai mud and rock darkening the sky above us. We knew there was no time to hesitate and quickly got as many of our group members onto the 2 motor boats as possible. Liam threw the engine in reverse and moved to the front of the boat to cut the bow line securing the boat to the shore. It was at this time that a huge rock came down and crushed the entire left side of my torso. I could not move anything but my arms so reached for two straps to hold onto. I was never going to let go. Liam, being a top notch rescue professional was able to quickly assess that I had sustained major injuries and internal bleeding and so was able to recruit the help of one of our guests to gently move me onto the large gas tank of the motor boat so we could escape the immediate area and search for the missing souls from our group.
The storm continued, keeping medical aide and evacuation from reaching us for several hours. Once paramedics were able to be dropped to the scene, I was moved to the shelter of an EZY UP at redbud beach and kept alive until evacuation was possible.
During this time I received great care from two guests, a RN and anesthesiologist. They watched me constantly, holding my hand , keeping me conscious and giving me water. Liam, busy with several other injured people would come by and tell me to keep holding on, and I did. For him, for me, for us. I have always been fascinated by how much humans can endure damage, and survive, or not. I wasn't sure how close I was to that line but I do believe my will made some difference in making through till evacuation.
AZ DPS was able to evacuate me around 3:00 AM July 15 to Flagstaff Medical Center where the ICU team leapt to action stabilizing and draining my damaged lungs, fixing my shattered pelvis and ribs with multiple surgeries, doing everything they could to keep me alive. My left kidney was crushed beyond repair.
Each day since, I have been seeing improvements, starting with being able to move my neck, arms and legs. It felt like I was just surviving for the first ten days or so, even just going to the bathroom was a lengthy and painful ordeal.
Today is a major stepping stone, I am moving from Flagstaff Medical Center to a local rehab facility where I will stay for 3-4 weeks in an intense regimen of physical therapy ( 3 hrs/day) to help return me to a condition where I can be somewhat self reliant again. I will be in a wheelchair for 2 months. I am excited for this next step, as it is showing my physical improvement, but also because I will be able to have many more visitors there including our puppy Bubbles. Please message or text me to come visit!
I want to extend my deepest thanks to Liam, for being my hero. I can't imagine what this experience would have been like if he had not been on the scene, or here to offer his unending love and support. Thank you to my family that dropped everything and flew out to be here and help me in any way they could. I can not say how much I am warmed by the outpouring of support from my friends and the river community. I look at your cards each morning and your sweet words give me motivation to work through the pain each day. I also have a very deep appreciation for AZRA, whom not only jumped to action in the rescue/evacuation process but continues to offer their compassion and support to Liam and I in any way they can. *PRICELESS*
With our monsoon this year continuing to create flash flood events in Grand Canyon I fear that more of our community can become damaged down there, a source of great anxiety for me each day as those storms roll in. Please make good decisions and take care of yourselves and your crew down there.
Lastly, I'd like to acknowledge that there was a soul lost in this accident, Rebecca Copeland. All of my love and compassion goes to her family in this tragedy.
I can only hope that her family are able to find peace that she was so happy and having fun in such a magical and spiritual place in her final days and hours. She was a joy to get to know in the first few days of our trip and her memory will always live on in both Liam and my hearts.

The Day It Rained Rocks

A Real Story of Heroes and Survival

Miraculously, 31 of us survived and were evacuated from the Grand Canyon by helicopter on 7/15/21.Day 3 of our 8-day trip. This was the largest evacuation in Grand Canyon history.Sadly, one young woman, Rebecca, did not survive. Others were seriously injured, including one of the guide-heroes, Kristen O’Niell. She was very seriously injured while evacuating us.

I included these News links below, even though they are not accurate. They weren’t there, so they had no on-site photos. There was no car. We were not camped in a slot canyon. The slot canyon was ¼ mile away. The known campsite was about 150 feet upstream from the normally dry rim drainage. This was not just a flash flood. It was a torrent of rain, hail and wind which caused a mud and rockslide. It would have killed us all, if not for our guides.

The trip started on Monday, 7/11/21. I drove through the Four Corners area, made a turn at 160 from 89 and was gearing up the old VW camper I was driving when I passed two hitchhikers. I usually will stop for hitchers, but I was late. I felt immediately guilty, and thought I just passed two Indians… On Indian land. I’m going on a life-threatening raft trip… On Indian land! I don’t need the bad Mojo. I turned around to pick them up. I was late already anyway.

Joshua, the hitchhiker now riding shotgun, was escorting his sister Isabelle to a job interview in Flagstaff. I made a stop for him. He sang two Navajo songs for me. He directed me to where I needed to be and wanted to walk the rest. Before I got around the van to wish them luck, they were gone! Isabelle left some native incense.

My girlfriend and I had reserved this raft trip through the Grand Canyon almost two years ago. Susan couldn’t make it due to a death in the family. My daughter Heather (35 and tougher than she looks. Usually too busy to see me, unless I schedule weeks in advance), somehow found the time to take Susan’s place. After all, it was "The trip of a lifetime".

90% of the Colorado River through The Grand Canyon is flat water. We were on huge 36’ rafts with motors, so we didn’t even have to paddle. They seemed impossible to flip, but I heard they do. The water comes out of the bottom of the dam at 48 degrees. So rafting is two temperature extremes. Either we were baking in the sun at 95 degrees, or we’d go through rapids, get splashed and be freezing for several minutes. The NPS officially states that survival without a life preserver is ‘unlikely’.

Wednesday 7/13/21, about 4:30 P.M: After our second day of moderate rapids, we made camp at Tatahatso Wash, mile 37.5, a known, marked campsite for many years. We weren’t even in the Grand Canyon yet. Everybody else set up their tents. I was expecting afternoon rains so, (trying to be smarter than most) I was waiting to set up until after a possible rain, so I would be dry.

By 5 pm the clouds had built up, and it started raining big drops. Everybody ran to their tents. When the hail started, I felt that I should find a rock for shelter. Damn! Only small rocks and bushes. I had to go about 100’ downstream, near the porta-potty, until I found a 7’ overhanging rock, which I crouched against. This was about 40’ from the “normally dry” rim drainage.

About 5:10 P.M : Torrential rains, hail, winds with sideways rain. Then harder rain. It must have dumped 2 inches in 20 minutes. The hurricane type winds were blowing mostly upstream and into the canyon wall, SE I believe. However, the winds shifted rapidly with large hail. My overhang was being hailed on sideways, so I scooted around, into the more open, but less battered side.

Maggie and Liam, the two captains, were outside, getting people out of low areas. They walked by me to save the porta-potty. They yelled,” Get to your tent!” I yelled, “I didn’t set up yet. I’m fine. I’ll wait it out.” They kind of insisted, but I had no place to go. I couldn’t go into somebody else’s tent this wet. How rude. I was getting cold and wished I had a tent. But with the winds and hail, I was sure most of the tents were down, anyway.

I was wearing my bathing suit, rain jacket, water sandals and sunglasses. I also had my insulated metal coffee cup, filled with wine, and my work camera. My waterproof, shock-proof camera. The wind changed, so my rock overhang offered 80% protection once again. Liam kept coming back. He was standing in the hail, looking up at the canyon wall and dry drainage. I yelled at him that he was crazy and to come under the rock, but he wouldn’t. He just continued staring up.

I was leaning against my rock and would sneak a glance at the drainage. I knew I was in a dangerous spot. The path between the old porta-potty location and camp had built up with a few inches of water and started flowing. This new stream was 18 inches higher in elevation than I was! Well, I’m no civil engineer, but I thought,

“How unusual. I’m probably gonna get really wet soon.”

The rim drainage started flowing, then grew fast, then EXPLODED! When Liam yelled, "RUN", I did not hesitate (I haven't run that fast for 40 years. Didn’t know I still could).

We ran through camp yelling, "RUN!". I didn't know where we were running. I thought we were running from the rim drainage. Then he yelled, "To the boats!" We ran, yelling: ”Run. To the boats!" No shoes or clothes on? It didn't matter. Everybody had to RUN! NOW! RUN!

While running for my life, I glanced up through my sunglasses. It looked like red-brown smoke descending upon us, fast. 150' along the canyon wall and 75' out, with a brown swirl left of center!

Still running, my mind raced, thinking:

That brown smoke is unique and beautiful.

I wish I had time to photograph it.

I wonder what the red brown is.

I wonder if it will hurt us.


Then the raindrops turned into huge drops of mud. The hail turned to gravel, then stones!

It was like the Wrath of a GOD. Poseidon, Earthshaker?

We were all being STONED! And it was going to get worse! Fast.

It seemed like the whole mountain was falling onto us. Survival seemed unlikely.

We ran through camp, yelling, being pelted.

Most tent dwellers were dumbfounded but got out and ran without question.

I got to the top of the beach when I thought:

Heather, my daughter!

Maybe she made it to the boat.

I must be sure. If I go down to the boats, it's pelting so bad, I probably won't be able to make it back.

So, I ran back through camp, yelling "Heather!” and "Run!" (About a 10 second delay). She was just getting out of her friend's tent. I grabbed her arm, and we ran as fast as we could, yelling to everybody along the way.

The large drops of mud made the air turn red brown. It was incredible and disorienting. It’s difficult to describe how hellish it was. Unlivable. Like opening your eyes in muddy water, but we were still breathing. While being pommeled by stones. It seemed like the end of the world. At least for us.

When we got to the boat, we couldn't see 5 feet away!

I couldn't see anybody, even though about 14 were on board.

I saw a hole between 2 metal boxes, told Heather, and shoved her head down into it.

I got my head and body over her, with one arm and my insulated metal cup over my head.

(It still had wine in it. Can't believe I was holding it that whole time).

Heather wanted to see what was going on, but I kept shoving her head down, saying it’s not over yet.

Due to Liam’s quick and assertive judgment, the time that elapsed between when he first shouted, “RUN,” and when we got to the boats was about 1 minute.

We hunkered down and prayed, as large rocks pinged off the metal containers.

My back was pelted more than 50 times by stones from over 1", up to 6” in diameter."

The pelting lasted another 2 to 3 minutes until it seemed to let up. I felt totally helpless. Hoping for an outside force to save us. When I was brave enough to raise my head, I saw that we and both boats were in the middle of the river! We had to get 200 feet away from the beach.

I was amazed. I didn't even know we were moving. The guides got us on board, started the motors, cut the ropes and got us 200 feet away, safely in the river. Good thing we were on huge rafts with motors. No time for life preservers, shoes, phones, etc. We had just what we were wearing, which was now soaked with the freezing water of the Colorado and covered in the mud from the canyon walls.

At the same time, Tim, another guest who was closest to the boats, saw the mud and rocks coming and got his family to the boats quickly.

He threw people into the front, open metal storage bin, while being pelted. He then put the big metal lid on his back and covered everyone within, while getting pelted with big rocks hundreds of times.

Tim is a hero.

Don, another guest, was covering his wife with his body. She was covering a young boy. He was pelted by rocks quite severely. He was awake and aware but couldn’t move much. He was lucky, only breaking 6 ribs. Another hero.

The same large rock which crushed Kristen’s pelvis, punctured a flotation section.

A two-foot rock bounced off the engine.

One rock took out a 3/4" chunk of my hip. (The cold muddy water must have stopped the bleeding.

Too much time passed to get stitches). I now have several rips in my rain jacket.

(Bonus Q: How large a rock to make a 1 ½” star rip through Gortex, with my back as the underlayment?).

27 out of 32 made it to the boats in about 1 minute. A miracle.

Those guides are HEROES!

If delayed another minute, most of us would have been dead!

The normally dry drainage was now a monster. A raging 40’ deluge of debris filled red-brown water, splashing debris hundreds of feet. The river was a muddy mess with large logs and debris. About 20 bags were swirling in the eddy below camp. Camp was covered in a brown cloud of water and debris. It looked like camp was washed away. Upriver was a brown cloud. The whole canyon was small waterfalls. There was only one area of raging torrent: just below our camp.

As the torrent continued, somebody on a raft saw life on shore.

Captain Maggie, on the other boat, went back for the stranded rafters. I’m sure she did much more. Another Hero.

Joel was separated from the group when he and his mother Nancy got hit by a flying tent on the way to the boats. Nancy was washed into the river. Joel got low up against the canyon wall and covered his head with his shoes. He could not see his mother amid the mud and rock downpour.

Tim’s parents were still in the only tent, which was still standing, near the canyon wall. Maggie rescued all three from the camp.

On the most somber note, Rebecca died. She wanted to camp further away, downstream of the drainage.

Heather walked down there with Rebecca and luckily decided to stay at camp central, near my tent.

Miracle grandma Nancy, 78 (Joel’s mom) got knocked down and washed into the Colorado river. She was stuck in an eddy, upstream, along with dry bags and gear.

She grabbed onto a bag for flotation, circled around the eddy many times before she got close enough to the shore to grab some branches and get back on land. I believe she was still circling, unseen, while Maggie made the rescue of the others on shore.

Soaking and alone, Nancy went through any remaining bags for dry clothes, water and food. She was alone all night, presumed dead. She was rescued the next day by another raft company.

We were overjoyed when she hoped off the raft at our survival camp.

5 people were severely injured. 30 of us spent the cool night in survival mode. The guide's clothes were luckily still on the boats, and they gave them freely to the guests. Most of us tried to sleep in the 5 tents which were still on the boats. Several of us couldn’t sleep.

The National Park Service and their paramedics did an outstanding job. They helicoptered two Paramedics down, who spent the entire night, stabilizing the injured. They brought MRI’s as food, but most of us were too wired to eat.


They started evacuating the most injured the next day.

Then they decided to helicopter everybody out. It was a beautiful flight, about 20 minutes.


The NPS brought us inside, clothed and fed us. They also gave us a nice official government letter, explaining that we may have lost all ID, etc. It made me proud to be an American and pay taxes.


I can't say enough good things about the guides.

They saved my life twice. More importantly, they saved my daughter’s life.

If delayed another minute, most of us would not have survived.

Liam and Maggie were outside in the torrent, assessing the situation. Keeping their clients safe.

Liam was standing in the hail looking up, so knew when we had to evacuate, IMMEDIATELY. It was the bravest thing I’ve ever witnessed. Then starting the engine and cutting the lines to get us to safety.

Liam's wife Kristen, a guide, helped evacuate and was going to the back of the boat. The rock which punctured a floatation section hit Kristen first and crushed her pelvis. She was slipping into the river, when Liam grabbed her and pulled her on, while backing up the boat at full speed.


There are undoubtedly many more heroic stories and viewpoints of this incident. I wish I saw them all. I’d like to hear them all. The guides did everything they were supposed to, and much more. With a job like a river or climbing guide, saving a life may be part of the job. But this incident showed outstanding bravery, training and definitive action. They didn’t hide like we did. They did everything they had to, to save us.I wish there was a way to honor the guides, without making the raft company seem bad. They were not.

The raft company and guides were outstanding. Afterwards, they did everything to make us comfortable.

They gave us nice hotel rooms and offered counseling to anybody who needed it.

Liam, Maggie and the other guides are Heroes.

I would like to help. I'm grateful to be alive.

I used to think there were no heroes anymore.

Here are some real heroes.

That’s why I had to tell the story.

Randolph J. Harris aka: Adventure Man

Harris Fire Forensics LLC

Join AW and support river stewardship nationwide!