Gunnison and Crested Butte, CO paddlers meetings - May 21 and 23
American Whitewater (AW), the nation’s leading advocate for the conservation of whitewater
rivers, will be hosting public meetings for river boaters in Gunnison on May 21 and in Crested
Butte on May 23.
These ‘regional paddlers dialogues’ are a part of AW’s efforts to define and protect recreational flow needs throughout the seven-state Colorado River Basin, which includes many stream segments throughout the Gunnison Basin like Oh-Be-Joyful, the Taylor River, the Gunnison Whitewater Park and the Gunnison Gorge. At the meeting, AW’s new Gunnison Program staff member will explain how paddlers can participate in defining acceptable flow ranges, and gather feedback on other river-related opportunities and issues.
"AW does great local, regional and national work. This is a chance for paddlers to have
their voices become part of longer term management and policy efforts related to safeguarding
in-stream flows and our recreation-dependent economies" said Molly Mugglestone, a Gunnison
resident, former WSCU professor and co-director for the Protect the Flows Campaign.
Both meetings will begin at 6pm. Gunnison’s meeting will be held at the Fairgrounds & Multi-Purpose Building (275 S. Spruce) and the Crested Butte meeting will be held at CB Town Hall. Questions can be directed to AW’s Gunnison Basin staff member Chris Menges at email@example.com.
- Gunnison Meeting date: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- Crested Butte Meeting date: Thursday, May 23, 2013
- Meeting time (both): 6pm
- Meeting Address Gunnison: Gunnison Fairgrounds Multipurpose Building (275 S. Spruce - map)
- Meeting Address Crested Butte: Town Hall (507 maroon Ave - map).
- Meeting objective: American Whitewater's Chris Menges will provide a presentation on the organization's new Gunnison Basin Program, discuss how local paddlers can us help safeguard boatable flows and invite boaters to provide insight on river-related issues and opportunities.