2010 Gore Canyon Race
Colorado - The “Timberline Gore Canyon 2010” event is on! This is a classic Class V whitewater race that brings together the finest whitewater rafters, kayakers and paddlers of all types of river craft. There is no better way to end the Western United States boating season. Enjoy great whitewater racing and camping at Pumphouse Recreation Area with all your fellow boaters.
As always the race is open to all boaters willing to take on some of the best Class V whitewater in the state of Colorado.
Spectators are welcome but remember:
STAY OFF THE RAILROAD TRACKS!!
- Kayak 8 feet and under
- Kayak 8.1 feet and over
- 10 feet and over
- Creature Craft
- Open-Standing Division (this is the ‘most extreme’ venue for this class in the country)
Friday, August 27
- 5pm– 8pm: Event registration
- 5pm – 8pm: FREE Alpine Quest Sports and Timberline Tours SUP Demo. Participants will have the opportunity to paddle a SUP board from Launch 1 down to Launch 3 (@3/4 mile) at the Pumphouse Recreation site. We will be shuttling people back up for multiple runs. All participants will need a PFD and helmet.
Saturday, August 28
- 7am – 11am: Event registration
- 9am – 12pm: Bus Shuttles are in operation for participants
- 10am: Raft set up below Tunnel to ferry hikers across river
- 12pm: Race Starts – Racers will be starting for approximately 2 hours, last racer usually finishes the course at approximately 3pm
- 4:30pm: Results and awards at Pumphouse Recreation Area.
- 5:00pm: Informal SUP downriver paddle from Pumphouse to Radium. This is open to all in any river craft and will leave Launch 2 after the awards ceremony and before the entertainment gets going. Families encouraged!
- Kayakers – $40 per person
- Raft Team – $40 per person
- Shredder – $40 per person
- Tubing/Riverboarding – $40 per person
This what your entry fee covers:
- Insurance (this is our biggest expense and unavoidable!)
- Admin and Misc
Please know that we do not make any money from this race and all our time is purely voluntary.
Prizes & Schwag
T-shirts will be given to the people that sign up for the event as well as to all volunteers and safety staff until they run out.
Medals are awarded to winners of each class. There will be a ‘raffle’ ticket given to all participants and volunteer staff with plenty of schwag given away at the awards ceremony
Race Director: Lisa Reeder
Phone: (970) 390-4481
1. Print and fill in the appropriate entry form below:
2. Print and sign the event liability waiver
3. Mail together with the entry fee, cash or check to:
- c/o Lisa Reeder, PO Box 155, Minturn, CO 81645
OR: Sign up on race day at Pumphouse
FINAL NOTES TO PARTICIPANTS…PLEASE READ! RACE SITE IMPACTS
The BLM requires us, as race organizers, to monitor impacts at the race site, including environmental, parking and traffic as well as other ancillary activities. By doing this we avoid additional staffing and cost recovery fees from the BLM. Your cooperation in all of these areas is greatly appreciated and will help to ensure the success of this year’s and all future Gore Canyon events.
RIVER LEFT AND FERRY SPECTATOR SERVICE
Per conference call with BLM Kremmling and UP Railroad today; MUST STAY RIVER LEFT!!! If you are safety, which Tim Kennedy and Charlie Ebel are heading up, then if you are on river right you must be at river level. There will be a raft ferry service to get spectators across the river above Kirshbaum’s; you can hike river right from the ferry drop of location to Tunnel falls, BUT must stay at river level. Let’s do this right so we can continue to have our event!!! Pass on the word….
The usual campsites are available in the designated BLM section on the right; overflow will be on the left junction down at Pumphouse; you will need to pay an extra dollar per person at the pay fee area (above the car price) to camp in overflow section. Please pay attention to designated parking areas so we that we abide by the BLM rules.
Thanks to our friends Harvey and Wallbangers, we will once again have live music at the Pumphouse Campgrounds for your enjoyment! Any other music is welcome.
SAFETY AND VOLUNTEERS
Those that help with safety or volunteer for various jobs, ie: raft shuttle below Kirchbaum’s, are an invaluable part of this event. This year, volunteers and safety will get a free t-shirt for helping with the race. Please contact Lisa Reeder ahead of time if you have any interest in either of these areas.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION AND SUPPORT.
HAVE A GREAT RACE!!